Five years when we were in Russia we were told Avery was a great sleeper. Maybe she was, but I certainly haven't seen that beautiful picture of rest and peace. Nope, not my girl.
From night 1 she was petrified. She literally clung to my chest like a spider monkey. God forbid I move or she woke up. When she'd wake up she'd grapple at my head like she was escaping a fire. I used to say that if she wanted to get any closer to me she'd have to crawl inside my skin.
We recognized the fear (how could you not) and did all we could to try to foster good sleep habits and provide the closeness she needed.
Once we were home we started out putting her in her crib with me sleeping with my arm inside holding her hand. I gradually tried moving out, but it increased her fear and we ended up co-sleeping. Something I NEVER wanted to do. Hello, Ryan is a big guy and she was tiny. We did the co-sleeping thing for a long, long time. She was about 2 1/2 when we decided to reclaim our bed. We did a modified Ferber method and within a couple nights she was successfully staying in her room. Then came the high stress inability to go to sleep a few months later. Melatonin became our friend and she again slept well. It was great! She woke a few times a night but went right back to bed as usual.
Then I went to Guatemala. I never thought in a million years that my enabler husband would have caved as quickly as he did. He abandoned our room and slept with DD in the guest bed. Thinking that she'd go back to the regular routine when I came home. Oooohhhh Nooooo! They continued this for about a year or more. So you'd think I got to sleep through the night at least... nope! Ryan sleeps like a LOG. So when Avery woke to potty or have a bad dream I was the one to take her, calm her and TRY to get her back to sleep.
Finally we set up a mattress on the floor of our room. Ryan and I got to share a room again. Avery was close enough to reach up of she needed contact and yes, I still was getting up with her at least once a night.
Our foster kids came and we played musical beds and did all we could to keep Avery quiet and appeased. I began to doubt my ability in getting a child to sleep through the night, because the girls slept great from day 1 and the baby.... well he seemed to channel Avery's sleep pattern and I played a game of walking on egg shells trying to keep one from waking the other. The kids left and I still had a nearly 6 year old who still couldn't sleep through the night.
Ryan was already in Indy, so I took advantage of it and got Avery in a great routine. She was calm and in bed on time, asleep in minutes and sleeping through the night (or getting up on her own and going back to bed). It was the best sleep I had in YEARS! It lasted all of 10 days.
We got to Indy and things are worse than EVER. It is blood curdling screams, sleeping on our floor, falling asleep in the living room floor because she can't bear to be in her room. Waking at the slightest noise. I understand new spaces, but we have been here for more than 3 months now. She is comfortable in her surroundings. We've tried night lights, sound machines, dream spray, sleeping with mommy's special things... and the list goes on.
This is exhausting. I have not slept through the night more than a handful of times in FIVE YEARS. I know this is an area she needs my patience and understanding, but I am ready to scream! I need sleep! I need to have a moment to myself after a long day of dealing with outburts and meltdowns. I need a miracle here! My daughter is scared and wounded. I am frustrated and tired. There are no tools left in my arsenal and I am ready to throw in the towel and accept that I'll have to accompany my daughter on her honeymoon because she can't sleep without me.
WHAT A WEEK!
4 years ago

1 comment:
Oh Jen,
You know I feel your pain. That happens to us to - one thing triggers it and then it lasts FOREVER. Seriously, taking her to church on Wednesday nights triggers it. I know it takes her a couple hours off her routine, but still - 2 months? I've only done it a handful of times, but each time we have months of little scared rabbit running around the room (or the house) afterwards and each time I thought, "Oh, she's doing better now, we should go to church." I'm praying for a miracle for you.
Joyce
Post a Comment