Monday, June 28, 2010

Ghetto Beach

I am a summer girl. I love the ocean, sand between my toes, sun in my face and the sound of waves crashing. So when we found out we were moving to Indiana, instead of a coastal city (like I was praying for), I was more than mildly bummed out.
Imagine how excited I was when Ryan told me there was a beach close to us. Now, it wasn't the ocean, but there was a beach and I was ready to make the most of it. This weekend I woke up and was ready to search out and find this treasure. We hopped in the car for the less than 15 minute drive. Pulling up to the park we saw the expansive water and I just knew it was going to be wonderful... still not the ocean, but water and sand and sun.
As we pulled into the parking lot I knew this was not at all what I had been hoping for. We payed our entrance fee and walked through the building out to the grass?... really, grass??? "Where's the sand? Where's the beach? These were the words my equally beach loving daughter whined repeadedly. My head echoed her sentement.
We found a spot to put our chairs in the grass - ok, it was barely grass, it was dead and sparse and twiggy. Then looked for a way to make our way to the water, because again, there was NO BEACH!!! There were 2 sets of concrete stairs that lead you down to the water. At the edge was a concrete retaining wall and between the wall and the water was their "beach" a 2 foot span of gravelish type sand. It was awful! And there were sticks everywhere.
Of course Avery, being 6, was not deterred, so I sucked it up and put on my best excited momma face and got in the water.
When we arrived there weren't many people there, but as the day went on, OH MY! The people... toothless, beer bellies, biker babes (I use that term LOOSELY) in their tacky sports bra looking bikinis, and tatooed pregnant teens with stretched ear holes and rainbow hair. Some of which is not so terrible in small doses, but this was the "norm" for Ghetto Beach.
I am thinking we won't be going back. There is however a REAL beach about 2 hours away and we will be going in a few weeks. I can't wait. And I will even attempt another small beach about 40 minutes away, because it is supposed to be bigger... we'll have to see about that one.
Ghetto Beach has scarred me for life!

1 comment:

Christie M said...

LOL.... That sounds like where we live. :)
I grew up going to Hermosa Beach, with the beautiful sand, beautiful waves and beautiful people. Texas says they have a beach. We went to the real ocean once. It was a sea weed covered empty sorta place. :(

We live near a lake, and there is a grassy area with BBQ's and a small beach front with that famous gravely, sticky sand, and murky water that you just KNOW everybody pees in. Ugh!

We go, because it is all we have around here. But oh my, the beach goers are of questionable character.

Maybe they think the same about us?
I don't know. :) We do look rather foreign.