A lot has happened over the last couple weeks. J went home to his mom. C's case has been all over the map and back again (don't ask what's going on cuz even I don't have a clue how this one will end), we got a call for a newborn who didn't end up coming and in the midst of it all... my girl became an official 2nd grader.
We always start official school the Tuesday after Labor Day, but yesterday as I was finalizing some lesson plans Miss A asked if she could "please, please start school now". So being the flexible home educator that I am (note intended sarcasm by totally rigid over-planner) how could I not answer the request.
So yes, today we began our new school year. I have made a promise to myself to make this year more engaging and creative. This does not come naturally to me in an educational setting or at least not one where I am responsible to see that she is up to snuff with her peers and meeting required milestones. Ahh the pressure! Albeit self induced pressure. But yes, I have devised a plan... and it's FUN! She didn't complain one single second of school today. In fast she completed more subjects than I had on schedule and even requested to take her Russian lesson in the car. Could it be that I have found the key? Or maybe I'm kidding myself and this is just first day excitement. Either way I am going to bask in the glory of one fabulous day and milk it for everything I can.
We are doing some fun geography this year. Every 2 weeks we are immersing ourselves in a different country. From cuisine, historical leaders and fashion trends to map skills and govornmental structure. I'm so excited.
Every Monday we are kicking off the week with a science experiment and she's learning about the body and will have to draw a picture of herself with properly placed internal organs by the end of the year.
Phonics, Math, Handwriting and Spelling still not that fun. But I've finally found a plan to assist her creative writing skills and that excites me. It terrifies her, but I'm excited and that's what really matters, right??
Who'da thunk it? I'd actually enjoy homeschooling. But I really think this year might be a winner!
WHAT A WEEK!
4 years ago

1 comment:
I do SO love the excitement of a new year! We are trying a new curriculum this year, and are pretty stoked as well.
BTW, this is "luvsasoldier"/Kendra from HP ;)
Post a Comment