
What can I tell you about meeting Avery for the first time? On May 3, our driver and translator picked us up from the hotel and drove us 35 minutes across town to the orphanage. Driving up was so overwhelming! We walked in the door and put on our booties then followed the translator to a small waiting room at the end of the hall. After what seemed like an eternity of pacing this small room lined with chairs the door opened and there she was! Our sweet little Avery. There was such fear in her eyes and I wanted nothing more than to make it all better, but I couldn't. She clung to her caregiver and cried when they tried to coax her to come to me. I cried and had to turn away. Eventually she warmed up and once they lowered her down to stand I picked her up and held her close. She is such a shy little girl and sucking her fingers seemed to be her soothing habit. We spent 3 hours with her each day for 3 days. Over the course of those days she warmed to us more and more. We got to see such personality from her and Ryan is wrapped tightly around her little finger. We played, we walked, we danced, we sang, she fell asleep in my arms (on the second day I was able to let Ryan hold her while she slept) and we just watched her and listened to her breathe. Those days were precious and leaving her was the hardest thing in the world.
We have been waiting for nearly 3 months to go back to Russia and bring Avery home. The wait isn't easy, but it will be worth every minute to have our sweet little one FOREVER!

No comments:
Post a Comment